Gatekeeper at the Materials Recovery Center
The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD), a nationally recognized leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks an intermittent gatekeeper at our Materials Recovery Center. WLSSD’s goal is to reduce, reuse, and recover as much material as possible, thus reducing waste sent to landfills. This position provides a key role by providing:
- Customer assistance and monitoring
- Load assessment for reusing, recycling and disposal
- Load assessment for acceptable and unacceptable wastes
- Cash Handling
- Monitoring Facility Operations
- Reuse Facility Operations
Graduation from a standard high school or its equivalent and at least one year of full-time equivalent experience in acting as a cashier, clerk or related money handling position. Ability to quickly and accurately handle money, figures and math. Possess a valid MN driver’s license.
- Work with individual members of the public, the business community, on reducing reusing and recycling with the last option being disposal
- Provide printed information to the customer to help them use the facility properly
- Analyze loads for recoverable and reusable items
- Assess fees as required
- Inspect and assess incoming loads for unacceptable material
- Operate cash register, charge account system
- Direct traffic flow and monitor activities
- Work with existing staff and public at the MRC to properly operate the facility
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to operate a cash register, charge account system, and related record keeping system, ability to accurately handle money, change and related deposit records. Must be able to be bonded for handling cash and other District property. Knowledge of techniques of effectively managing customers, contractors, and the general public.
- Collaborate with a variety of work teams
- An understanding to maintain facility policies and tasks
- Work effectively with individuals and groups in a variety of circumstances
- Conduct oneself in a professional, welcoming and engaging manner
- Meet deadlines
Work schedule may vary, Monday- Saturdays, with most Saturdays being worked.
- This job will be in an outdoor environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling and crouching. The employee must frequently lift and move items up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform functions of this job.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be given an oral examination. Passing the examination will require a score of 70% or higher. Final selection will include a panel interview. A pre-employment physical and drug screen will be given prior to an offer being made.
Please complete an application found at www.wlssd.com and return to WLSSD, Attn: Human Resources, 2626 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806, by 4:30 p.m. the closing date. Applicants who claim Veteran’s Preference must provide a DD214 at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and Minority Applicants Encouraged to Apply
03/2/2018How to Apply See all open jobs