($23.48 - $26.84/hourly)
The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD), a nationally recognized leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks a qualified Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning Mechanic to perform highly skilled work in maintaining, repairing, installing, fabricating and modifying District machinery, equipment, structures heating, ventilating and air conditioning control equipment.
Graduation from a technical trade school or equivalent education in HVAC and possess five years’ experience in maintaining HVAC equipment and machinery similar to that found in wastewater or solid waste processing facility; or such combination of education and experience as may be accepted as equivalent and possess a valid driver’s license.
Extensive knowledge of standard machine maintenance practice, methods, materials and tools. Working knowledge of HVAC control equipment. Knowledge of safe work practices. Ability to efficiently locate and repair complicated mechanical equipment; knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and repair electronic and pneumatic controllers used in HVAC applications; ability to use hand and power tools and shop equipment; ability to layout, fabricate and weld; and an ability to effectively maintain favorable working relationships with fellow employees.
- Maintains, repairs, installs, fabricates and modifies, when required, a variety of pumps, electric motors, gasoline and diesel engines, turbines, check and gate valves, compressors, blowers, generators, hoists, conveyors, gear assemblies, pulleys, heavy piping, pressure vessels, hydraulic units, chain drives, air conditioning and ventilating systems and other related machinery and equipment.
- Interprets and works from engineering drawings and modifies layouts to make field fits
- Checks equipment and materials to assure necessary items are available for assigned projects
- Aligns and adjusts equipment to assure proper operation
- Troubleshoots, installs, repairs and calibrates HVAC control equipment
- Calculates required air flows and equipment capacities
- Troubleshoots and repairs a variety of refrigeration units, furnaces, thermostats, freeze stats, and pneumatic/electric switches.
- Confers and coordinates as required, any maintenance, repair or installation work with appropriate engineering, maintenance and operations personnel
- Investigates with engineering, any equipment failures to determine cause and to take necessary corrective action
- Assists in establishing methods for carrying out maintenance and repair work and assures adherence to safe work practices and methods.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be given a written examination. Final selection will include a panel interview.
Alternative Exam Process: For individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), alternative examination processes are available on an individual basis upon prior arrangement. Contact Human Resources at (218) 740-4790.
Work Eligibility: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the WLSSD requires verification of identity and work eligibility.
Veterans: For applicants claiming veterans’ preference, a DD214 must be filed at the time of application.
Non-discrimination: The WLSSD is an equal opportunity a veteran friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
Drug testing policy: Under WLSSD’s drug and alcohol testing policy, prospective employees will be asked to submit to drug testing. No prospective employee will be asked to submit to testing unless an offer of employment has been made. An offer of WLSSD however, is conditioned on the prospective employee testing negative for drugs and alcohol.
Pre-employment physical: Applicants selected for employment must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination.
Background checks: Offers are conditioned on passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process.
Reasonable accommodation information is used to provide reasonable accommodations in the testing and hiring processes. If sufficient data is not provided, we may not be able to accommodate you.
You are not legally required to provide any of the private data listed above. WLSSD employees from the Human Resources Department and other departments involved in the selection process may have access to your private data if their work assignments reasonably require access. Others who may legally access the above data are individuals or agencies to whom we are required to release the data by law, rule or court order.
Please complete an application found at www.wlssd.com and return to WLSSD, Attn: Human Resources, 2626 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806, by 4:30 p.m. May 1, 2017. Applicants who claim Veteran’s Preference must provide a DD214 at the time of application.
Probation Period: 9 months
Duration of Eligible List: 6 months
Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and Minority Applicants Encouraged to Apply
05/1/2017How to Apply See all open jobs