Journey level Electrician
(Compensation to be determined at job offer)
The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD), a nationally recognized leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks qualified full-time Journey Level Electrician. A candidate with strong electrical maintenance and/or instrumentation background with skills in maintaining and troubleshooting VFDs, low and medium voltage equipment including power distribution systems, SCADA and PLC systems and process instrumentation are preferred.
Knowledge of the various types of instruments, equipment and appliances and the standards, practices, materials, and processes of the electrical, electronic and computer trades. Knowledge of the installation, operation and maintenance of electrical and electronic equipment, apparatus and instruments. Knowledge of and ability to repair electronic circuits; knowledge of the law, rules and standards relative to electrical construction, installation and safety. Capable of lifting and performing manual labor and of erecting scaffolding and ladders in a safe manner; ability to be mobile over a variety of steps, ramps, ladders and confined spaces; possess sufficient physical strength and agility to perform regular lifting and moving of supplies and equipment; capability of exerting pulling force upon machinery, equipment and valves; to reach overhead and bend over to operate levers and valves.
Must possess a valid State of Minnesota Class A Journeyman Electrician’s license; and possess a valid Driver’s license from state of residence.
- Bends, shapes and installs conduits and raceways including elector/metallic tubing, plastic mold and wire mold
- Installs transformers, control boards, electronic circuits, coil circuit breakers, voltage regulators, switches, fuses and related electrical equipment
- Performs additions, extensions or alterations in electrical and electronic installations
- Troubleshoots, repairs and tests a variety of electrical and electronic circuits, machinery, transformers, meters, motors and recording instruments
- Installs and connects motors, lights, controllers, voltage regulators and racks; inspects and cleans electrical and electronic equipment and motors and replaces brushes and necessary parts
- Utilizes electrical connectors and couplings and solders connections
- Installs, maintains, and repairs a variety of electronic instruments. Installs, maintains and repairs computer related equipment.
- Performs cleaning duties and other related projects to maintain clean and orderly conditions in the District facilities
- Reads blueprints and computes material lists and costs; estimates time and materials necessary to perform a job; determines modifications required when obstructions are met while installing systems; and supervises helpers
SELECTION PROCESS & TESTING INFORMATION
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be given a written examination. Final selection will include a panel interview.
Alternative Exam Process: For individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), alternative examination processes are available on an individual basis upon prior arrangement. Contact Human Resources at (218) 740-4790.
Work Eligibility: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the WLSSD requires verification of identity and work eligibility.
Veterans: For applicants claiming veterans’ preference, a DD214 must be filed at the time of application.
Non-discrimination: The WLSSD is an equal opportunity a veteran friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
Drug testing policy: Under WLSSD’s drug and alcohol testing policy, prospective employees will be asked to submit to drug testing. No prospective employee will be asked to submit to testing unless an offer of employment has been made. An offer of WLSSD however, is conditioned on the prospective employee testing negative for drugs and alcohol.
Pre-employment physical: Applicants selected for employment must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination.
Background checks: Offers are conditioned on passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process.
Reasonable accommodation information is used to provide reasonable accommodations in the testing and hiring processes. If sufficient data is not provided, we may not be able to accommodate you.
You are not legally required to provide any of the private data listed above. WLSSD employees from the Human Resources Department and other departments involved in the selection process may have access to your private data if their work assignments reasonably require access. Others who may legally access the above data are individuals or agencies to whom we are required to release the data by law, rule or court order.
Please complete an application found at www.wlssd.com and return to WLSSD, Attn: Human Resources, 2626 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806, by 4:30 p.m. by the closing date. Applicants who claim Veteran’s Preference must provide a DD214 at the time of application.
05/4/2018How to Apply See all open jobs