($26.24 - $28.70/hourly)
The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD), in Duluth, MN, a nationally recognized leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks qualified full-time Maintenance Electrician.
Must be a qualified journeyman electrician with four years’ experience or such combination of education and experience as may be accepted as equivalent. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the various types of electrical instruments, equipment and appliances and the standards, practices, materials, and processes of the electrical trade
- Knowledge of the installation, operation and maintenance of electrical equipment, apparatus and instruments
- Knowledge of and ability to repair electronic circuits; knowledge of the law, rules and standards relative to electrical construction, installation and safety
- Ability to solder and braze, to work from drawings and specifications, to make operating repairs to electrical machinery and equipment, to supervise and train helpers, and to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; and capable of lifting and performing manual labor and of erecting scaffolding and ladders in a safe manner
- Knowledge and ability to implement safe work practices and procedures including: 70e requirements, Arc Flash implementation, Lock out/Tag out, Confined Space Entry and Energy Control Procedures
- Ability to operate, and troubleshoot mechanical, electrical and instrumentation systems
- Knowledge and ability to respond to emergency conditions and develop appropriate course of action
- Ability to read plans, electrical prints and specifications
- Knowledge of and ability to operate standard hand tools
- Ability to operate a variety of electrical test equipment, generators, overhead and mobile cranes, forklifts, and aerial lift platforms
- Knowledge and ability to use, implement and maintain an Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) system as defined by the District
- Knowledge and ability to use computerized systems for plant operations, historical data tracking maintenance management systems, and spreadsheet and word processing software
- Ability to plan, schedule and direct the work of staff and coordinates their work with other departments
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees and the public
- Ability to physically wear an air purifying respirator
- Bends, shapes and installs conduits including elector/metallic tubing, plastic mold and wire mold.
- Installs transformers, control boards, electronic circuits, coil circuit breakers, voltage regulators, switches, fuses and related electrical equipment and facilities in electrical generating and distributing stations, water pumps and buildings.
- Performs additions, extensions or alterations in electrical installations of power, light, heat and appliances in buildings and on grounds.
- Troubleshoots, repairs and tests a variety of electrical circuits, machinery, transformers, meters, motors and recording instruments.
- Installs and connects motors, lights, controllers, voltage regulators and racks; inspects and cleans electrical equipment and motors and replaces brushes and necessary parts.
- Utilizes electrical connectors and couplings and solders connections.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to be mobile over a wide variety of structures and surfaces including ladders and ramps.
- Capable of walking, reaching, bending and the ability to stand, kneel, stoop and crouch for extended periods.
- Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 50 pounds, and occasionally carry up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Be medically approved to wear an air purifying respirator
- The work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to wastewater, fumes, gases or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The employee works near moving mechanical parts and will be exposed to the risk of electrical shock, and vibration. This work involves loud noise, indoor and outdoor conditions, including all weather conditions.
Please complete an application found at www.wlssd.com and return to WLSSD, Attn: Melissa Williams, Director of Human Resources, 2626 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806, by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date. Applicants who claim Veteran’s Preference must provide a DD214 at the time of application.
SELECTION PROCESS & TESTING INFORMATION
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be given a written examination. Final selection will include a panel interview.
Alternative Exam Process: For individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), alternative examination processes are available on an individual basis upon prior arrangement. Contact Human Resources at (218) 740-4790.
Work Eligibility: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the WLSSD requires verification of identity and work eligibility.
Veterans: For applicants claiming veterans’ preference, a DD214 must be filed at the time of application.
Non-discrimination: The WLSSD is an equal opportunity a veteran friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law
Drug testing policy: Under WLSSD’s drug and alcohol testing policy, prospective employees will be asked to submit to drug testing. No prospective employee will be asked to submit to testing unless an offer of employment has been made. An offer of WLSSD however, is conditioned on the prospective employee testing negative for drugs and alcohol.
Pre-employment physical: Applicants selected for employment must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination.
Background checks: Offers are conditioned on passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process.Reasonable accommodation information is used to provide reasonable accommodations in the testing and hiring processes. If sufficient data is not provided, we may not be able to accommodate you.
You are not legally required to provide any of the private data listed above. WLSSD employees from the Human Resources Department and other departments involved in the selection process may have access to your private data if their work assignments reasonably require access. Others who may legally access the above data are individuals or agencies to whom we are required to release the data by law, rule or court order.
Probation Period: 9 months
Duration of Eligible List: 6 months
Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and Minority Applicants Encouraged to Apply
10/26/2018How to Apply See all open jobs