Household Hazardous Waste Technician
($25.64 - $29.35/hourly)
Western Lake Superior Sanitary District (WLSSD), a national leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks a full time Household Hazardous Waste Technician to work in the daily operation of our Regional Household Hazardous Waste Program. The work involves identifying and receiving various waste materials from the public at our regional collection facility, coordination of mobile collection events, and operation of equipment and materials handling, all done in conjunction with MPCA guidelines. Ideal candidates will have an interest in environmental improvement coupled with a strong science background.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in environmental science, biology, geology, chemistry, or a closely related field; and two (2) years experience in waste management.
- Possess a Class “B” Minnesota driver’s license or be capable of obtaining one within a specified period of time. May be required to obtain a Class “A” CDL Minnesota driver’s license if required within a specified period of time.
- Must be medically approved to wear an air purifying respirator.
- Ability in identifying, receiving, sorting, bulking, and packaging wastes; labeling
- Assists with the development and implementation of the HHW education program
- Knowledge and ability to use computerized systems for plant operations, historical data tracking maintenance management systems, and spreadsheet and word processing software
- Knowledge and ability to respond to emergency conditions and develop an appropriate course of action
- Ability to work independently or as a team
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions and to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with coworkers, supervisors and the public
- Ability to physically wear an air purifying respirator
- The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to be mobile over a wide variety of structures and surfaces including ramps and ladders
- Capable of walking, reaching, bending and the ability to stand, kneel, stoop and crouch for extended periods
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to lift and carry supplies and equipment up to 50 pounds, and occasionally carry up to 75 pounds
- Be medically approved to wear an air purifying respirator
SELECTION PROCESS & TESTING INFORMATION
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications. Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be given written and practical examinations. Final selection will include a panel interview.
Alternative Exam Process: For individuals who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), alternative examination processes are available on an individual basis upon prior arrangement. Contact Human Resources at (218) 740-4790.
Work Eligibility: In accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, the WLSSD requires verification of identity and work eligibility.
Veterans: For applicants claiming veterans’ preference, a DD214 must be filed at the time of application.
Non-discrimination: The WLSSD is an equal opportunity a veteran friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
Drug testing policy: Under WLSSD’s drug and alcohol testing policy, prospective employees will be asked to submit to drug testing. No prospective employee will be asked to submit to testing unless an offer of employment has been made. An offer of WLSSD however, is conditioned on the prospective employee testing negative for drugs and alcohol.
Pre-employment physical: Applicants selected for employment must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination.
Background checks: Offers are conditioned on passing a criminal background check. Convictions are not an automatic disqualification from the selection process.Reasonable accommodation information is used to provide reasonable accommodations in the testing and hiring processes. If sufficient data is not provided, we may not be able to accommodate you.
You are not legally required to provide any of the private data listed above. WLSSD employees from the Human Resources Department and other departments involved in the selection process may have access to your private data if their work assignments reasonably require access. Others who may legally access the above data are individuals or agencies to whom we are required to release the data by law, rule or court order.
Please complete an application found at www.wlssd.com and return to WLSSD, Attn: Human Resources, 2626 Courtland Street, Duluth, MN 55806, by 4:30 p.m. on October 11, 2019. Applicants who claim Veteran’s Preference must provide a DD214 at the time of application.
Probation Period: 9 months
Duration of Eligible List: 6 months
10/18/2019How to Apply See all open jobs